Do I Qualify?
Qualifications for surgery include:
- Body Mass Index of 40 (approximately 100 pounds over ideal body weight) or BMI of 35 and associated co-morbidities (medical problems associated with and/or caused by obesity). See our BMI calculator below.
- Significant previous efforts at weight loss have been made. Preferably, these attempts have been in nutritionally safe and medically or peer supervised programs.
- You have no uncorrected metabolic disease that may cause obesity.
- You have no other serious medical condition(s) that would make surgery too hazardous.
- You have no unstable or untreated psychological illnesses and/or unrealistic expectations of surgery and weight loss.
- You have not abuse addictive drugs or alcohol - preferably for 12 months.
- You possess sufficient motivation to make the LIFELONG changes in eating habits and exercise required for success post bariatric surgery.
- You are willing to make a formal commitment to the bariatric surgical procedure of your choosing and to yourself.
Note: Some insurance companies require patients to undergo a six-month supervised weight loss program. Please ask your insurance carrier for their requirements.
These points are a guideline only. They serve to address the major areas of interest that we explore in determining if you are a good candidate for bariatric surgery. If you think you qualify for bariatric treatment and would like to learn more about our program, please contact our bariatric program coordinator at 776-5359.