Although weight-loss surgery can help many people achieve outstanding, lifechanging results, success depends on a life-long commitment to behavioral changes and medical follow up. Evidence shows that those who incorporate healthy eating, exercise and lifestyle changes with their surgery decrease the risks associated with heart disease and diabetes, and may lower death rates for patients with severe obesity. The Penrose-St. Francis Weight Loss Surgery Institute and your insurance company require that all bariatric weight loss surgery patients have pre– and post-surgical services as part of a weight loss surgery care plan. We have created the following pre-and post-surgical packages or you can contact your insurance carrier for a list of additional providers who offer similar services. These services and support programs are in place to ensure you have a strong foundation throughout your weight loss journey and that you are adjusting well to physiological, nutritional, and psychological changes before and after your surgery.
Pre and post-surgical services are provided by the Penrose-St. Francis Health Learning Center.
• Ninety-minutes with a registered dietitian to perform a dietary intake assessment and evaluate your weight loss history.
• Sixty-minutes with a licensed behavioral counselor to assess your psychiatric history, psychological function, weight loss history, eating behaviors and level of physical activity.
(Must be completed within one year from your surgical date.)
• Post-surgical phone consult with a registered dietitian within 24-48 hours of surgery.
• Six, one-hour OR 12, thirty-minute sessions with a registered dietitian.
• The Wellness Center Package OR 30-day aquatic membership at Colorado Sports and Spine Centers (Union Medical Campus).
Professionally run support groups for Lap-Band and gastric bypass surgery are available to individuals who have undergone bariatric surgery regardless of where their surgery took place. Those who are anticipating/planning bariatric surgery are welcome to attend support groups prior to surgery. Discussions are lead by former patients, surgeons, dieticians and plastic surgeons.
Meets the third Tuesday of the month, 6:30 p.m. (Guest Speaker) and every 2nd Friday at 6:30 pm & every 3rd Saturday at 10:30am - noon
Cancer Center Conference Rooms A, B and C
2222 N. Nevada Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Contact: Fran Jackson - 719-776-5359
Men Only Support Group
There is a men only support group every 2nd Saturday from 9-11 am in the Volunteer Conference Room at Penrose Hospital.
FREE Call-In Help
Every 1st Wednesday of the month there is a Call-in session if you have any questions .
Call Kay at 719-475-1306 between 10am – noon.
People to call for information about support groups are:
Fran Jackson: 719-776-5359
Kay Jones: 719-475-1306 Cell: 719-238-8557
Bobbette Groce: 719-265-5486
Significant other and/or family members are encouraged to attend.
Wellness Center Package
The Penrose Hospital Wellness Center is equipped with treadmills, elliptical trainers, free weights, and weight machines. The center is staffed by certified
fitness specialists who will make sure you are using the equipment correctly and effectively. Certified wellness coaches will assist you in setting and
achieving your exercise goals.
• Ninety-day gym membership - Hours: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 2 - 4 p.m., M-F
• Pre- and post-fitness assessment
• Four, one-hour sessions with a certified wellness coach
Make It A Lifestyle Support Classes
Whether you are pre- or post-surgery, we encourage you to join the Make It a Lifestyle program. This program includes four educational and motivational
classes which will empower you to make your weight loss journey a long-term success. You will:
• Learn lifetime tools to help you reach your weight loss goals
• Learn how to lighten your favorite recipes
• Learn tips from people who have been through the same experience
• Share your experience – past and present – and set a plan for keeping the weight off for life
• Celebrate your success with others in your group
Program Payment Options*
Option 1 - $750 - One-time pre-payment discount
• All pre-surgery and post-surgery services except the Make it a Lifestyle Support Classes.
• A savings of $175 over the individual service pricing.
• Payment in full is due at your first scheduled appointment.
Option 2 - Pay as you go for individual services
• Pre-surgery services - $250
• Post-surgery consult with registered dietitian - $50
• Post-surgery sessions with registered dietitian
o Six - 60 minute sessions - $100/session
o or 12 - 30 minute sessions - $50/session
• Wellness Center Package OR 30-day aquatic membership - $25
• Make it a Lifestyle Support Classes - $25/4 month group
*Costs are not billed to insurance. However, insurance may reimburse you for certain services. Contact your insurance carrier for more information.
For questions or to register call 719-776-5359.
Should you desire additional help, behavioral therapy is available at the Center for Behavioral Health for an additional fee. Most insurance plans include a mental health benefit, so we recommend you check with your insurance carrier regarding your plan’s coverage. To schedule an appointment or for more information, call 719-634-1825.