Unique Features of the Program
- The small internship class size gives the faculty the opportunity to provide individual education to the student.
- Through the affiliations, field trips and lectures, the interns are introduced to many dietetic careers.
- Dietitians at Penrose-St Francis Health Services are firmly committed to the education of the dietetic interns. They provide skilled instruction and are excellent role models.
- Penrose-St. Francis Health Services considers the Dietetic Internship Program a learning experience and interns are not scheduled to relieve employees or staff, except as a staff relief experience.
- Experiences in nutrition care and foodservice systems management are provided at all facilities. This enables the intern to achieve competence in four very different environments: a large acute-care hospital, a health center,a small community hospital and an outpatient education center.
- Colorado Springs is a beautiful city located at the foot of Pikes Peak. The scenery, high altitude and mountain climate are invigorating.
Life in Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs is a city of 500,000 with a pace and a national perspective that may surprise you. The unique combination of climate, easy access to mountain recreation, community resources and people allows a pleasant lifestyle and encourages personal growth.
- Colorado Springs is located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Immediately to the west, the mountains rise abruptly. To the east lies the gently undulating prairie. Proximity to the Front Range and numerous attractions make Colorado Springs one of the most popular vacation areas in the state. More than 310 sunny days per year help to provide the perfect year-round setting for recreation. Sheltered by the towering mass of Pikes Peak, Colorado Springs is protected from extremes of cold in winter while the altitude of more than 6000 feet ensures a pleasant summer with cool nights. The low humidity moderates the temperature effects in both winter and summer.
- Several colleges and universities are located in the Colorado Springs area, including Colorado College, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs and Pike Peak Community College. Lectures, symphonies, films, exhibits and civic theaters add to Colorado Springs' ability to provide an aesthetic and stimulating environment.
- The many fine parks, golf courses, public tennis courts and public swimming pools afford Colorado Springs excellent recreational facilities. Within 50 miles, there are numerous places for boating, fishing, hunting and snowmobiling. Colorado's famous hiking and skiing areas are very close.
- Among the many attractions are Pikes Peak, U.S. Air Force Academy, Cliff Dwellings, Cave of the Winds, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, North Pole and Santa's Workshop, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, Seven Falls, Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun, Cripple Creek and Victor, and the Garden of the Gods. The Pikes Peak region is a vital, growing area that provides a beautiful environment in which to learn, work and play.