Women & Heart Disease
Today, heart disease is the leading cause of death for women and each year more women than men die of heart disease. According to The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease, there are currently 42 million American women living with or at risk of heart disease. That is why Penrose-St. Francis Health Services provides award-winning heart care designed just for women.
In 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 Penrose-St. Francis Health Services was the only hospital in southern Colorado to recieve HealthGrades Women's Health Excellence Award™. We are ranked amoung the Top 5% in the Nation for Women's Health and are five-star rated for Women's Health. The key findings in the HealthGrades report includes:
- Compared to those treated at poor-performing hospitals, female patients at Women’s Health Excellence Award hospitals had a 40.56% lower risk-adjusted mortality across nine cardiac, pulmonary and vascular-based diagnoses and procedures and a 16.13% lower risk-adjusted rate of complications across five orthopedic procedures.
- An additional 41,025 women over the age of 65 could have potentially survived their hospitalization and 8,558 could have avoided a major complication if all hospitals had performed at the level of HealthGrades Women’s Health Excellence Award recipient hospitals.
- For treatment of heart attack in 2009, only one-third of women received a cardiac surgical intervention compared to almost half of men (33.5% and 45.6%, respectively).
- Among heart attack patients receiving a cardiac intervention, such as coronary bypass surgery or angioplasty, women had a 30% higher death rate compared to men.
- Women make up a higher percentage of admissions for hip fracture repair than men; this has remained unchanged from 2005 to 2009 (74% for women, 26% for men).
|Our Emergency and Trauma Care and Penrose Heart teams know that women's heart attack symptoms often present differently than men and take extra steps to ensure their symptoms do not go unnoticed.|
Support for Women
As part of our dedication to the women in our community, Penrose-St. Francis Health Services supports local women and heart disease programs such as the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women Day, the Heart Ball and Heart Walk. We are proud to partner with WomenHeart to provide a support group for women who have heart disease or may be at risk for heart disease. Women who are patients on our cardiac floor will receive a Red Bag of Courage from WomenHeart, filled with helpful educational materials, resources, invitation to join the WomenHeart support group and a hand knit red scarf.
|Read one Colorado Springs woman's story of how extreme emotional stress led to heart attack-like symptoms (page 4).|